Serves 4-6 people
1 ½ lbs assorted stone fruit, pitted and chopped
2 cups milk
5 ½ oz sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 oz unbleached all-purpose flour (1/2 cup)
3 large eggs (or 4 small eggs)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place the chopped fruit in a shallow baking dish.
- In a medium sized saucepan heat the milk with the sugar and the vanilla extract. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Put the flour into a large bowl, then whisk in one egg at a time. You should have a completely smooth batter. Slowly stir in the warm milk mixture. The batter should be very liquid but free of any lumps.
- Pour the batter over the fruit and fill the baking dish.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. The clafoutis is done when you giggle the pan and it is set. The top should appear lightly golden brown. Serve at room temperature. This dessert is also great the next day, especially with a cup of coffee!